Travel To Historic Culross, Fife, Scotland
An attractive example of an old Scottish burgh in W Fife, situated on the River Forth 7 miles (11 km) west of Dunfermline.
Created a royal burgh in 1588, Culross was the legendary birthplace of St Kentigern (or St Mungo). An abbey was founded here in 1217 by Malcolm, 7th earl of Fife, and during the 17th century salt panning, coal mining, weaving and trade with the Low Countries from the foreshore port of Sandhaven were developed, chiefly by the enterprising local merchant Sir George Bruce. Another famous product of the town at that time was the iron baking girdle.
The town is rich in 17th and 18th century cobbled lanes and buildings, many of which have been restored by the National Trust for Scotland. Amongst the main historic landmarks are: The Palace, built by Sir George Bruce in the 16th century; 13th-century Culross Abbey, a Cistercian foundation; the Town House (1626); and The Study (1633) with its corbelled top storey.